Scallion pancake. Many scallion pancakes recipes I've read use sesame oil to create the layer. Chinese street vendors and restaurants rarely do this because it's very pricey and the result not as delicious as using animal fat. Such an EASY snack or appetizer.
It's all in the roll (and the spin, and the re-roll). Not to mention the low and slow crisping. A scallion pancake, also known as a green onion pancake or spring onion pancake is a kind of pancake made with scallions. You can have Scallion pancake using 7 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Scallion pancake
- You need 200 gram of all purpose flour.
- It’s 140 gram of boiled water.
- You need 2 pieces of Scallion.
- Prepare 8 gram of salt.
- Prepare 15 gram of Oil.
- Prepare of Black pepper.
- You need of White pepper (optional).
Examples include Chinese Scallions pancake also known as green onion pancake or Congyoubing is one of the famous and traditional Chinese street foods and ideal Chinese breakfast. Unlike true pancakes, "Cong You Bing" (or Chinese scallion pancakes) are made from a dough instead of a batter. The tasty appetizers are the perfect "sponge" for mopping up extra sauce and can. Freezer-friendly & just as good as our traditional scallion pancake recipes!
Scallion pancake instructions
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt in the flour before putting boiled water in. Mix it with chopsticks (or spoon) until you can touch the dough by your hands.
- Knead the dough until the surface is slick. Cover it up with wet clothes for 20 mins.
- Roll the dough into a round(around 1 mm tall) sprinkle 8 grams of salt on the dough.
- Add oil on the top of the dough.
- Use the brush to spread out the oil.
- Sprinkle the scallions evenly. Add pepper.
- Roll the dough up gently.
- Close the edge on the side to prevent scallion from popping out.
- Hold the edge on both sides and twist them by different directions at the same time.
- Wind it into 2 circles on top of each others.
- Flat it into 5 cms thick. Cover it by wet cloth for 20 mins to 1 hr.
- Preheat the pan until you can feel the heat on top of it. Put the pancake in. Cook with medium fire..
- Flip it around when the bottom is golden brown(around 3-5 mins). Cover the cap to cook the other side until it golden brown.
- Add oil into the pan (around 20 grams) Pan- fry both side till it’s golden brown.
- Put it on paper napkin to absorb extra oil..
- Voilà ❤️.
Chinese scallion pancakes are always a crowd pleaser. This vegan recipe includes step-by-step photos and detailed notes on how to make the flakiest scallion pancakes. Scallion pancakes really are that easy to make home. I can't believe I've been ordering them from my neighborhood Chinese take-out, when I could have been making them all this time?! Chinese scallion pancakes are healthy, vegan, crispy and delicious!