Beef and onion stew. Few things can soften winter's bite better than a hearty stew, and this one is guaranteed to tame even the coldest winter day! The recipe has its origins in Germany and is familiar throughout central Missouri – home to many German families. The key to this recipe is the long cooking time, which brings together the tastes of the beef, onions, garlic, bay leaf, and rosemary. (I'm told that by adjusting the amount of water, this works well in a slow cooker or crock pot – see note below the recipe.) Hachee is a traditional beef and onion stew found in virtually every Dutch home.
Add to the pot, and continue to simmer until onions are tender, but not over-cooked. Crockpot Beef Stew With Onion Soup MixThe Spruce. Crock Pot Beef Stew Lipton Onion Soup Mix Recipes. You can cook Beef and onion stew using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Beef and onion stew
- You need 750 g of chuck blade, trimmed and cut into 2 in cubes.
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 4 of large onions, sliced.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of brandy.
- Prepare 2 cups of beef stock.
- Prepare 3 of waxy white potatoes, cut into 1 in cubes.
- You need 1/2 lb of button mushrooms, sliced about 1/4 in thick.
- Prepare 10 sprigs of thyme, tied together with kitchen string.
- You need 1 of carrot, peeled and sliced about 1/4 in thick.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of cornstarch.
Try this Beef and Onion Stew recipe, or contribute your own. In a large skillet, melt the butter and lightly saute the onions. All you need is beef tri-tip, onions, garlic, black pepper. Cook sweet onions to caramelized perfection, then slow cook with beef and vegetables for a satisfying stew.
Beef and onion stew step by step
- Add a splash of veg oil to a large pot on high heat. Season the meat with salt and pepper and add it to the pot. Fry the beef until it's evenly browned..
- Add enough cold water to the pot to cover the meat. Put on the lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 2 hours until the beef is tender. Add additional water as needed during cooking to keep the beef submerged..
- Carefully transfer the meat and cooking liquid into a large bowl. Add the butter to the pot and put it back on the stove on high heat. Add the onions and fry them until they're a deep, dark brown. Watch that they don't burn and scorch the bottom of the pot. Add the brandy to the pot and deglaze 2 minutes or so until most of the brandy has cooked off..
- Skim the oil from the top of the beef cooking liquid, then pour the liquid into the pot of caramelized onions. Add the stock, potatoes, mushrooms and thyme. Cover and turn the heat down to medium. Simmer 15 minutes or until the potatoes are about halfway cooked. Add the carrots. Simmer another 15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and the carrots are tender but not mushy..
- Fish the thyme from the pot. Make a slurry with the cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Whisk it into the stew. Let simmer 5 minutes uncovered then serve with a big loaf of bread..
Substitute mushroom beef gravy mix or brown beef gravy mix for the onion gravy mix, if desired. Serve this saucy beef stew over mashed potatoes with plenty of crusty bread for mopping up. Brown the onions and the flour in the butter in a saucepan. Add stock gradually, stirring all the time. Add bay leaves and cloves and simmer for five minutes with the Add the vinegar and the diced meat.