Stuffed Tomatoes. Tomatoes hollowed out and stuffed with canned tomatoes with green chile peppers, bread crumbs, cheese and smoked sausage. Substitute the fresh flesh of the tomatoes for the canned tomatoes with chiles, if you like. I made these baked stuffed tomatoes with meat and cheese using hot house tomatoes grown at a local farm.
Using a spoon, hollow out the tomatoes keeping around an inch of tomato "meat (or whatever its called)" around the bottom and sides. Turn tomatoes upside down on paper towel to drain. In a saucepan, heat oil, parsley, scallions, garlic, and breadcrumbs. You can have Stuffed Tomatoes using 16 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Stuffed Tomatoes
- Prepare 1/2 lb of ground beef.
- Prepare 1/2 of onion; diced.
- You need 1 stalk of celery; diced.
- Prepare 1/2 of carrot; diced.
- You need 3 of garlic cloves; diced.
- Prepare 4 of tomatoes preferably beefsteak tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 of bellpepper.
- It’s 1 of Yukon gold potato; cut into wedges.
- It’s 3/4 of ths cup short-grain rice.
- You need 1-2 tbsp of tomato paste.
- You need 1 tbsp of sugar.
- It’s 1 cup of chicken broth (water is fine).
- Prepare of Mint.
- Prepare of Parsley.
- It’s of Dill.
- It’s of Feta cheese.
Mix together until just heated through and moist. Halve the tomatoes and put in one layer in a shallow ovenproof dish. Spread each cut side with a little mustard, then sprinkle a little of the crumb mix on the top. Using a small spoon, scoop out insides, then place tomatoes upside-down on a paper towel.
Stuffed Tomatoes instructions
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes and bell pepper. Keep them as they will be your lid. Excavate the tomato insides and set aside in a bowl..
- Sauté the onions and garlic until they reduce in size and turn slightly brown. Add in the celery and carrots and cook until reduced/browned. Adding salt helps!.
- Brown the ground beef until no longer pink. Add the sugar. More salt..
- Add the tomato paste and rice and sauté for 2 mins..
- Preheat oven to 370F..
- Pour in the tomato insides and 1 cup of chicken broth. Simmer for 10 mins. Taste, add more salt and pepper if needed..
- Before we stuff, mix in the parsley, mint, and dill..
- Fillerup! I put potato wedges in between the veggies. Drizzle olive oil and yes – salt & pepper! Pour in half cup of water to the pan..
- Cover lightly with foil and bake for 1 hr..
- Uncover and broil until slightly charred..
- Serve with feta cheese on top. Enjoy!.
BEST stuffed tomatoes you will come across! This stuffed tomato recipe is prepared Greek-style with a hearty, flavor-packed stuffing mixture of ground meat, rice with onions, garlic, fragrant spices like cumin, oregano, and nutmeg, and fresh herbs. A generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil helps these stuffed tomatoes as they bake to delicious, tender perfection. Roasted Stuffed Tomatoes are extremely easy to make. And the ingredients are very inexpensive too.