Pork belly tacos. For the tacos: Serve the pork with warm tortillas, cilantro and lime wedges for building tacos. Cook's Note When cooking meats like pork belly or bacon on the grill, dripping marinade or fat can. Depending on how you buy your pork belly, it might be in a large slab, or strips with bones and skin.
The showstopper of this pork belly taco recipe is the green onion sauce with pickled watermelon rind. You are going to fall in love at first bite. This pork belly taco recipe is perfect for any time of year! You can have Pork belly tacos using 13 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pork belly tacos
- You need 4 lb of pork belly.
- It’s of Olive oil.
- Prepare of Dry rub with low sugar.
- You need of Corn tortillas.
- It’s of Flour tortillas.
- It’s of Additional topping options.
- It’s of Shredded cabbage for crunch.
- You need of Fresh salsa.
- It’s of Mexican cojita cheese crumbles.
- You need of Diced onions.
- Prepare of Cilantro.
- You need of Limes.
- It’s of Tomatoes.
Transfer the pork, skin side up, to a cutting board and let cool slightly. Top each tortilla with a few pieces of pork belly. These pork belly tacos have a South American Flair and are amazing served with Chimichurri sauce. Make you own Chimichurri sauce, or buy it HERE. (affiliate link) Orange juice, cumin, lime and chipotle peppers are used to season the pork while it cooks in the Instant Pot.
Pork belly tacos instructions
- Remove pork belly from packaging and rinse with cold tap water. Pat dry and set on a cookie sheet..
- Slice top side of skin into 1.5 to 2 in squares just deep enough to get to the fat layer..
- Rub entire belly with olive oil..
- Cover entire belly with dry rub. (use a low sugar rub to avoid burning) I prefer a mixture of blacking seasoning and light dashes of Slap Yo Mamas..
- Cook @325 for 3.5 hours. Then last 20 minutes broil on low to get a crispy layer..
- Bake for 3.5 hours on a stainless steel rack inset in a cookie sheet. This ensures the belly is above the drippings and helps get the entire surface roasted evenly. The pork belly is done after the entire belly is a consistent color and will be soft if you probe it with a wooden skewer or fork. The meat should tear from the edge fairly easy. Last 20- 30minutes turn on your broiler on low to turn on the top side heating element. This will crispy the top even more but becareful not to let it burn..
- The risk of over cooking is lower since it is a high fat content cut..
- Once the belly is pulled from oven slice 1 inch slices the length of the belly if you are going to serve immediately or let cool on rack on counter and put away in fridge without slicing. Either way you choose the next step is the same. Once sliced in strips cut slices into chunks..
- Get a pan hot med to high heat preferably a cast iron pan and put chunks in. As the cold fat starts to soften break up with the spoon into shreds as big as you would like. If serving straight out the oven break up the chunks into shreds. You are going to quickly sear the shreds as crispy as you would prefer..
- Once meat is to your liking remove meat to serving dish. Fry your corn tortillas in the same pan the belly was cooked in for extra flavor. You can use a hot skillet to heat corn or flour tortillas..
Pork belly is a cut of meat from the belly of the big. The toppings for these pork belly tacos are a fusion of Mexican and Asian inspired flavors: cabbage, cilantro, jalapeño, green onion and a light drizzle of spicy-salty-tangy mayonnaise. Make these for a couple or a crowd, they're simple to assemble and are sure to leave everyone rubbing their bellies and sighing with satisfaction! If you want perfectly clean slices: cool pork belly completely, then remove from baking dish and wrap in aluminum foil. Pork belly tacos are just that, except a little bit more.