Vegan Shepherd's Pie. Topped with creamy, fluffy mashed potatoes. The perfect hearty entree for colder weather. Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie with mushrooms, carrots, peas, gravy and baked under creamy mashed potatoes. ♡ Plant based!
Shepherd's pie is pure comfort food, and this vegan version will satisfy the taste buds of the vegetarians in the crowd. All Reviews for Traditional Style Vegan Shepherd's Pie. This naturally vegan lentil shepherd's pie is made by baking stewed lentils and vegetables with a garlic chive mashed potato topping. You can cook Vegan Shepherd's Pie using 16 ingredients and 23 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vegan Shepherd's Pie
- Prepare 500 g of rinsed, 12h-soaked green&brown lentils*.
- You need 1500 g of water.
- Prepare to taste of salt & pepper.
- It’s 1 of large white onion ca.175g.
- You need 4-6 of garlic cloves ca.20g.
- It’s 3-4 of carrots ca.200g.
- It’s of Olive oil (or vegan butter).
- Prepare 4 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1½tsp dryied thyme.
- Prepare 2420 g of diced potatoes (came from a packet of 3kg).
- It’s of salted water (e.g. 2tbsp of smoked salt).
- Prepare 260 g of cashews.
- You need 340 g of water (e.g. reuse potato water).
- You need of herb salt.
- It’s of ground pepper.
- Prepare of ground nutmeg.
- You need of or the equivalent in jarred precooked lentils.
My meatless shepherd's pie recipe is flavorfully made with normal. This vegan shepherd's pie is the dinner recipe version of wearing a fuzzy sweater and drinking hot Know one thing: vegan shepherd's pie is not quick and easy! This is the perfect comfort food which is plant-based, gluten-free and easy to make. Made with lentils, veggies, and mashed potatoes.
Vegan Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Rub 27x36cm casserole with raw garlic clove, grease with vegan butter or olive oil (a spray is easiest).
- Boil lentils in 1.5 l of water for 40min (or use 2x 660g glas jars of lentils).
- Or cook lentils w/out soaking in thermomix.
- If termomix available: add 500g lentils, tbsp veggie broth powder and 1.5l water; program 100°C for 40min reverse speed 1. Done :).
- Lentils into casserole.
- Add salt & pepper to please your taste.
- Mince garlic (in tmx at speed 7), onion, carrots (tmx 5) and sautee with thyme in olive oil (tmx varoma speed 1 for 3min).
- Add garlic etc to lentils in casserole and combine everything.
- Let heat up and simmer at low temperature.
- Grind pepper over lentils if desired.
- Peal off knobbly parts of potato. I often leave a large amount of skin on because I like it. Choose what you prefer..
- Dice potatoes and start boiling salted water in pot.
- When water is boiling add the potatoes, cover with lid and set timer for 15 minutes.
- During cooking time you will need to lessen heat so potatoes don't boil over.
- Preheat 220℃ oven.
- Potatoes need to be very soft for mashing, and if done, pour out water (keep it for making cashew cream).
- Potatoes back into pot, lid on and now blend cashews with water at highest speed for 90 seconds.
- Start mashing up potatoes, add cashew cream (depending on type of potato you might not need all of the cream) and a dab of butter. Add salt, nutmeg and pepper to your taste..
- If using separate frying pan, transfer thickened lentils to casserole. Lentils are the base layer.
- Top with mashed potatoes.
- Into oven for 10-15 minutes until mash is a bit browned at peaks.
- If lentils are a bit liquidy you can use hot-air oven, then please turn down to 200℃.
- As I have left the peal on half of the potatoes, you can see specks of it in the baked potato crust of this just out-of-the-oven delicious shepherd's pie.
Vegan Food Blog with Healthy and Flavorful Vegan Recipes. Vegan Shepherds Pie is perfect for meal prepping because it creates a lot of leftovers. Everyone loves easy Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie, especially this one using veggie crumbles! The ultimate Vegan Lentil Shepherd's Pie featuring rich, flavourful, saucy lentils topped with fluffy, creamy mashed potatoes & baked until deliciously golden brown & crispy. This healthy delicious recipe for Vegan Shepherds Pie involves no shepherds or sheep!