Barley beancurd dessert. Let's prepare this classic Chinese bean curd, ginkgo nuts, and barley dessert in your home. This soup is healthy, yummy, vegan-friendly, and gluten-free. I bought the vacuum packed type.
But have you ever wonder why sometimes the beancurd sheet (fu chuk) will soften & almost melt in the soup but. Other additions include beancurd sheets and quail eggs. The barley may or may not be eaten as the soup is what matters. You can cook Barley beancurd dessert using 5 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Barley beancurd dessert
- Prepare 1 cups of holland barley.
- You need 75 grams of beancurd for dessert.
- You need 200 grams of pre-boiled gingko nuts.
- Prepare To taste of rock sugar.
- It’s A few of pcs pandan leaves, knotted.
Here's a traditional Chinese dessert, Dried Beancurd and Ginkgo Nuts Dessert, requested by my reader to translate Rinse the barley and the ginkgo nuts. Because this dessert benefits our health and it's tasty. Most Cantonese believed that having dessert soup daily helps to rejuvenate skin and promote better complexion. This classic Chinese dessert is known as Fu Chuk Yi Mai Pak Koh Tong Sui (腐竹薏米白果糖水) in the Cantonese dialect which translates to Barley, Bean Curd and Gingko Nut Dessert Soup.
Barley beancurd dessert instructions
- Wash clean holland barley. There are 2 different type of barley that can be easily found in singapore. Chinese barley has cooling properties, but the taste is a bit funny. Holland barley tastes nicer, suitable for dessert but some says it can cause phlegm. I use holland barley for this dessert as i like the taste more..
- Smash the beancurd sheet to smaller pieces. Pls make sure you use the one for dessert. There is other type of beancurd sheet for soup too but it is more oily and the texture is different..
- Now the gingko nuts. I bought the pre-boiled gingko nuts. Some says that we need to remove the core to avoid any bitter taste in this dessert..
- Prepare 3L of water, cook barley and beancurd together. Add pandan leaves. I use pressure cooker so it takes me like 5 mins and all are tender already. Beancurd will be very soft like porridge consistency. Some people doesn’t like porridge consistency so you can cook the beancurd later on. If you use normal pot/pan, it probably takes 30 minutes to cook the barley till tender..
- Add gingko nuts and boil for another 10 minutes. Add rock sugars to taste..
- Done! Can be served cold or warm. I like mine cold..
The word "Fu" means "having prosperity or being prosperous". Bean curd is made of soy beans and it has a fragrant flavor. If you like soy milk (not the Western kind, but the Hong Kong kind, such as Vitasoy), you would like this too. The dried barley and dried bean curd sticks are chewy, the dried bean curd sheets are soft and. It is popular belief that the ingredients in this dessert rejuvenate the skin and it promotes better complexion!