Broiled Fava Bean Pods. Place whole fava beans in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with half of the kosher salt; add bruised garlic cloves. Whole roasted fava beans: Toss clean whole fava pods with olive oil, salt and pepper.
Serve with herb sauce and lemon wedges. Great recipe for Broiled Fava Bean Pods. Sprinkled lightly with dill, lemon zest chile pepper flakes and a pinch of salt, these fava bean pods are a simple pleasure. You can cook Broiled Fava Bean Pods using 5 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Broiled Fava Bean Pods
- You need 1 1/2 lb of whole fava bean pods (around 20).
- It’s 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil or more to taste.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of fresh dill.
- You need 1 pinch of red chile flakes to taste.
- Prepare 1 tsp of lemon zest (optional).
As delicious as fava beans are, it's a pain in the you-know-what to get them shelled, blanched, and peeled in order to eat a single bean. But Sophie Brickman at the San Francisco Chronicle says we can forget all that. She has a much simpler method. Brickman's advice is to toss the whole fava beans, still in their pod, in olive oil and roast them in the oven until tender.
Broiled Fava Bean Pods step by step
- Wash beans and pat dry. Place on cooking tray. Lightly brush with olive oil and add salt to taste..
- Broil on high, being careful to watch as they blacken and steam the inner beans..
- Remove, rotate and turn as necessary to have even steaming and blackening..
- Place on plate and garnish with dill and chile pepper flakes..
- The beans easily remove from the skins. Like when peeling the fava bean, you can easily open. The pods were tender and tasty! Add 1/4 lemon zest if desired..
In a large bowl, toss the fava bean pods with the olive oil. Summary Fava beans should be removed from their pods and outer coatings before eating. Steamed or roasted fava beans can be added to a variety of meals and snacks. In a large bowl, toss fava beans with olive oil. Spread rosemary sprigs across baking sheet and evenly distribute fava beans on top.