Oven Baked Onion Rings. A sliced onion, a hot oven, and a few ingredients arranged into the classic cook's breading station are what you need to make crunchy and flavorful baked onion rings. These crispy oven baked onion rings get their extra crunchy exterior from panko bread crumbs. They also get lots of flavor from the flour dredge.
Spray a baking sheet slightly with oil and set aside. Place onion rings in a single layer on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and then serve. You can cook Oven Baked Onion Rings using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Oven Baked Onion Rings
- It’s 1 of Large Sweet Onion.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Garlic Powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of Onion Powder.
- You need 1/2 cup of Milk.
- You need 1/2 cup of Flour.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Paprika.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of Sugar.
- Prepare of Oil spray.
Working in batches, dredge onion rings in flour mixture, dip into eggs, then dredge in Panko mixture, pressing to coat. Spread onion rings in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet; coat with nonstick spray. We couldn't get enough of these crunchy onion rings in the EatingWell Test Kitchen. Seasoned whole-wheat breadcrumbs are available in some supermarkets and natural-foods stores.
Oven Baked Onion Rings step by step
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil..
- Slice the onion to make rings that are about 3/4 of an inch wide. Peel the skin from each ring and carefully separate the rings from each other..
- Mix the dry ingredients in a shallow dish..
- Add the milk to a small bowl.
- Take each ring and dip it in the wet mix and then the dry mix, coating them in the powder..
- Place each ring on the baking sheet Spray the rings with oil spray. You want to coat them, but not too much..
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then flip each ring and bake for another 10 minutes. Serve immediately..
If you can find them, try them in place of the plain breadcrumbs and seasoning blend. Oven Baked Onion Rings – Baked, not fried! Serve them up with a spicy dipping sauce for the perfect party appetizer or game day snack! My first-favorite side option for a hamburger is french fries, hands down. Throughly spray the onion rings with cooking spray (this is optional, but it helps them brown more evenly).