Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen).
You can cook Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen) using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen)
- Prepare of Crust.
- It’s 5 oz of animal crackers.
- It’s 3 tbsp of packed brown sugar (light or dark).
- Prepare 1 pinch of salt.
- It’s 4 tbsp of unsalted butter (1/2 stick); melted and cooled slightly.
- You need of Filling.
- It’s 2 oz of cream cheese (at room temperature).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of grated lime zest.
- You need 1 pinch of salt.
- You need 14 oz of sweetened condensed milk (1 can).
- It’s 1 large of egg yolk.
- You need 1/2 cup of Key lime or fresh lime juice (about 4 limes).
- Prepare 3/4 cup of sweetened shredded coconut, toasted (optional, for garnish).
Key Lime Bars (American's Test Kitchen) instructions
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325°F. Cut about 12-inch length extra-wide heavy-duty foil; fold cut edges back to form 7 1/2 width. With folded sides facing down, fit foil securely into bottom and up sides of 8-inch square baking pan, allowing excess to overhang pan sides. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray..
- To make the crust: In workbowl of food processor, pulse animal crackers until broken down, about ten 1-second pulses; process crumbs until evenly fine, about 10 seconds (you should have aboutj 1 1/4 cups crumbs). Add brown sugar and salt; process to combine, ten to twelve 1-second pulses (if large sugar lumps remain, break them apart with fingers). Drizzle butter over crumbs and pulse until crumbs are evenly moistened with butter, about ten 1-second pulses. Press crumbs evenly and firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake until deep golden brown, 18-20 minutes. Cool on wire rack while making filling. Do not turn off oven..
- To make the filling: While crust cools, in medium bowl, stir cream cheese, zest, and salt with rubber spatula until softened, creamy, and thoroughly combined. Add sweetened condensed milk and whisk vigorously until incorporated and no lumps of cream cheese remain; whisk in egg yolk. Add lime juice and whisk gently until incorporated (mixture will thicken slightly)..
- To assemble and bake: Pour filling into crust; spread to corners and smooth surface with rubber spatula. Bake until set and edges begin to pull away slightly from sides, 15-20 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Cover with foil and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours..
- Loosen edges with paring knife and lift bars from baking pan using foil extensions; cut bars into 16 squares. Sprinkle with toasted coconut, if using, and serve. (Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 2 days; crust will soften slightly. Let bars stand at room temperature about 15 minutes before serving.).
- Recipe can be doubled in 9×13 pan; increase baking time by 1-2 minutes..