Avocado, broiled. In this avocado side-dish recipe, zesty avocado halves are topped with melted Cheddar cheese and broiled until golden brown. You can serve these healthy avocado halves as a side dish with grilled chicken or steak. The avocado is a tree that is native to South Central Mexico, classified as a member of the flowering plant family.
Cut avocado in half and remove stone. Scoop out some of the avocado pulp to make a larger cavity for the egg. In a medium baking dish, rest the avocado half inside the edge of the dish so the avocado does not tilt over. You can cook Avocado, broiled using 3 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Avocado, broiled
- You need 2 large of avocados, ripe but slightly firm.
- Prepare 1 each of cheese.
- Prepare 1 of spices of your choice.
With a medium spoon, gently scoop out one of the yolks and place it in the hole of the avocado. Preheat your oven for broil and place rack in the second slot down. Slice the avocado in half and remove the seed. Turn avocado halves, cut side up.
Avocado, broiled instructions
- Cut avocado in half by cutting down to pit, rotate fruit around knife until cut ends meet.
- Grab each half and twist to separate halves, 1 should contain the pit.
- Carefully whack pit in center with shape blade of knife, so the blade is embedded about 1/4 inch. Twist knife (like you did the other half before) until the pit pops out. To remove pit from knife, from the dull side of the blade (back) pinch pit so it pops off knife..
- Use a fork to poke a bunch of holes into the flesh of the avocado. Drizzle, spray or brush a little oil on the halfs. I usually use light olive oil, but any should work..
- Put the halfs on a baking sheet. You are better off if they are level and don't rock. If you don't have a rack like here, you can make a little donut from foil to hold them in place..
- Sprinkle spice mix of your choice on the avocado. Here I used a "Mexican blend" but I have used others in the past. A slightly stronger flavor seems to be better do it didn't get lost..
- Cover the halfs with shredded cheese. Cheddar is shown here, but Swiss, Italian blend, all seem to work that melt. This picture shows 2 with spice before cheese, and 2 with cheese before cooing..
- Broil so the top of the avocado is about 3-4 inches from the broiler. In my oven, 3 minutes is perfect. But check after every minute to make sure they don't burn..
For Grilled Slices: Cut avocado in half, seed, peel, and slice. Drizzle with fresh lime or lemon juice and brush lightly with olive oil. For Grilled Half Shells: Cut avocado in half and remove seed. This broiled avocado recipe is a delicious treat especially when you are on a paleo diet. Broiled Avocado With Chili & Lime: Paleo Style.