Basbusa. If necessary, broil ever so briefly so that the top of the basbousa gains color. While the basbousa is baking, prepare the cinnamon simple syrup. In a small sauce pan or pot, combine the sugar, water and cinnamon stick.
This basbousa recipe is very easy. This was the third recipe I tried of basbousa and thankfully it turned out just the way I wanted. The coconut flavor stood out like someone else has mentioned too which was a big plus point and it wasn;t too cakey- just the right amount of baking powder. You can have Basbusa using 13 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Basbusa
- Prepare of Basbusa.
- Prepare 2 cups of Semolina.
- Prepare 1 cup of Shredded cCoconut.
- It’s 3/4 cup of White Sugar.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Baking pPowder.
- You need 1 tablespoon of Vanilla.
- You need 100 g of Melted Butter.
- It’s 250 ml of Heavy / Thick Cream.
- It’s of Sugar Syrup.
- It’s 1.5 cups of White Sugar.
- It’s 1 cup of Water.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of rose water.
Basbousa (also namoura, revani, and other names) is a traditional Middle Eastern sweet cake that originated in Egypt. It is made from a semolina batter in a pan, sweetened with orange flower water, rose water or simple syrup, and typically cut into diamond shapes. It is found in most former areas of the Ottoman Empire, and is featured in Middle Eastern cuisines, Greek cuisine, Azerbaijani. Mix the semolina, coconut, sugar, flour, yoghurt, melted butter and vanilla in a bowl.
Basbusa step by step
- We start with the Sugar syrup first.
- Bring water and sugar to a boil. Stir gently..
- Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat and let it simmer. Do not stir. 3-5 mins.
- Remove from heat. Add lemon juice and rose water. And let the syrup cool..
- Start on the basbusa mix. Mix all the dry ingredients.
- Add the vanilla and butter and mix..
- Then add the cream. And mix. It will be a wet sand consistency..
- Move to a baking dish and pat flat with a wet hand..
- Score lines and add pealed almonds.
- Bake for 28 minutes in a preheated oven (middle rack) at 180C / 350F.
- Adjust time as needed. You are aiming for crisp edges..
- Switch to top grill / broiler (low) and bring to golden brown. Just takes a few mins. So watch carefully..
- Cut into the score lines. This will help with absorbing the sugar syrup..
- Pour sugar syrup over quickly; within minutes of removing from the oven..
- Let it cool. And enjoy!!.
If the mixture seems too thick, add a little milk, but it should still be fairly. Basbousa, an Egyptian semolina cake with yogurt is one of the best Egyptian desserts that comes out fairly quick. One bowl, mix and dump kind of recipe, yet is hard to make perfect. Today I am sharing the BEST basbousa recipe that everyone was raving about. Authentic Egyptian basbousa recipe that is soft and stays soft.