For Osechi and Special Occasions: Vibrant Red and White Vinegar-Pickled Lotus Root.
You can have For Osechi and Special Occasions: Vibrant Red and White Vinegar-Pickled Lotus Root using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of For Osechi and Special Occasions: Vibrant Red and White Vinegar-Pickled Lotus Root
- You need 1 large of piece Lotus root.
- Prepare 1 of Food coloring (red).
- Prepare of Seasonings:.
- It’s 200 ml of Dashi stock.
- You need 2 tbsp of Sugar (white castor sugar).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Vinegar.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Usukuchi soy sauce.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Salt.
- Prepare 1 of two pinches Kombu tea (powdered).
- You need 1 piece of Dried chili peppers (sliced into rounds).
For Osechi and Special Occasions: Vibrant Red and White Vinegar-Pickled Lotus Root instructions
- Peel the skin from the lotus root with a peeler, etc., along the shape of the root. Cut notches into it for decoration, and then slice to about 3 mm thick pieces..
- If you have some spare time or won't be cooking these for some time, let them sit in vinegar water for a bit..
- Add all of the seasonings to the pot except the chili pepper and bring to a boil. Add the lotus root and simmer until the pieces are cooked, but still maintain their crunchy texture..
- Add the chili pepper while still hot, and soak half the batch in vinegar water from Step 2 with red food coloring added to it (as much as you want). Let cool. The color will set in about 30 minutes..
- Arrange on your favorite plate, and it is ready!.