Homemade Paneer or Ricatto …. Indian Cheese.
You can have Homemade Paneer or Ricatto …. Indian Cheese using 4 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Homemade Paneer or Ricatto …. Indian Cheese
- You need 1/2 gallon of whole milk … the fat is what curdles.
- It’s 2 cup of buttermilk …. this is VERY IMPORTANT!!!.
- It’s 1/2 large of lemon.
- Prepare 1 dash of salt.
Homemade Paneer or Ricatto …. Indian Cheese step by step
- this only makes about 2 cups of cheese…. I have left it kinda loose (ricatto) to use for filling in lasagna or ravioli… I use it firmer (paneer) for Indian food….
- put the milk in a large saucepan…. turn up to med/high…. allow to get very warm… almost boiling… it will get foamy around the edges. stir gently, just to keep milk from sticking to the bottom….
- when it starts foaming add BUTTERMILK….. IF YOU DON'T HAVE BUTTERMILK….,you can add to it 1 cup of heavy cream, but add the juice of 2 freshly squeezed lemons. don't use pre-squeezed lemon products. it doesn't set as well with those products…..
- turn flame down to medium…..
- turn off fire after 5 min and let sit for 15 minutes ….. the cheese will continue to curdle….
- wet cheese cloth lay 2 layers inside of s colander. wet cheese cloth and ring out well..
- pour curds into colander and allow to drain for 15-20 minutes…. gather up corners of cheese cloth and twist…. if u want ricatto this is the point where u store it. add salt…..
- PANEER: after you twist and remove as much liquid by hand. turn your colander upside down place bundle on bottom … place a plate on top with several large cans… let sit for 1 hr… it will become firm like paneer…..